on summer and stability

Right now, it's hard to imagine that at some point in the near future, I might actually be settled somewhere where I'll stay for more than a few years. I've become accustomed to moving apartments or rooms or cities and the idea of being somewhere for a longer period of time is quite appealing. Settling in at a long term, real grown-up job. Living in an apartment it might actually be worth dragging a giant bookshelf into so I can surround myself with stacks and stacks of books and craft supplies. Being motivated to be involved with the surrounding community, knowing that I'll be able to volunteer for a longer period of time than the training.

I crave stability - I think most of us do - and I've seriously been learning to deal with the absence of it at grad school. But the brief taste of it so far this summer at a real job in a real office? Oh, it's nice.

Sometimes it's nice to pretend that the house I'm in is mine and check the mail after I get off of my full day of work, check the garden out back with the hopes for some fresh tomatoes, pick a sunflower to put in a vase on my desk, and maybe find some fresh peaches down the pathway in the mini neighborhood orchard. I can sit down with a book I checked out from the library (finally got a library card), have a cup of homemade iced tea with dinner, and be perfectly happy doing it all over again the next day.

Though I'm looking forward to the future, I'm also intentionally working at appreciating the experience that I'm having right now. I'm sure I'll reminisce in the future about the days of grad school and the things I was able to do in the days with less responsibility and summer vacations, so I'm trying to take note of the things that are unique to this time in my life and appreciate them. Perhaps I'll share more about that in the future.

I've been pretty terrible about taking any pictures at all - I'll try to get one of me in my safety vest at work soon - but I can share a few photos of my current room sweet room.

  • Door
  • Desk
  • Bookshelf
  • Dresser
  • Sliding door
  • Nightstand with plant
  • Bed
  • Nightstand with lamp
Door1 Desk2 Bookshelf3 Dresser4 Sliding door5 Nightstand with plant6 Bed7 Nightstand with lamp8
HTML5 Slider by WOWSlider.com v4.0

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I've felt the same way about not wanting to devote myself too greatly to any communities or people because I know that I'll need to move on. Looking at your pictures, though, I think you've done better than I have at making your room homey. My walls are still bare!

    ReplyDelete